Early Bird Racing
Welcome to Early Bird Racing.
Use your iRacing name when you register.
After you Register, I'll send an iRacing invite.
Next Race
New Hampshire Motor Speedway
September 23, 2017
Camping World Truck Series

League Video
Other Leagues

Kurt Busch to run Indy 500

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kurt Busch to run Indy 500

Post by Tim Fortner on March 9th 2014, 11:17 am

Kurt Busch to run Indy 500 with Andretti Autosport: It has been over a decade since it was last completed, but this May NASCAR Champion Kurt Busch will endeavor to become only the fourth driver in history to contest the "Double" - competing in IndyCar's historic Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR's 600-mile race in the same day.
Busch will make his first career Indianapolis 500 qualifying attempt behind the wheel of an Andretti Autosport Indy car. His entry will complete a stable of five for Michael Andretti's championship winning IndyCar team.
It is not the first pairing of Busch and Andretti Autosport, however, as in 2013 Busch completed a test day at Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the team and in the process passed the mandated Rookie Orientation program effectively setting the possibility of the "Double" into motion.

Last edited by Tim Fortner on July 20th 2014, 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total

Early Bird Racing
Tim Fortner
Admin

http://www.earlybirdracing.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kurt Busch to run Indy 500

Post by Tim Fortner on May 18th 2014, 8:36 am

CONCORD, N.C. - Kurt Busch narrowly missed a chance Saturday to make a run at the pole for the Indianapolis 500 but said he’s pleased with how well his week at Indianapolis Motor Speedway has gone.

Busch seeks to become the fourth driver to compete in both the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 on the same day, joining John Andretti, Robby Gordon and Tony Stewart.

Busch made two qualifying attempts Saturday at Indianapolis before flying to Charlotte for the Sprint All-Star race. Busch said it took him 91 minutes from leaving the Indianapolis garage to arriving in the Charlotte garage, giving him a test run of what to expect next weekend.

The top nine qualifiers at Indy are eligible to compete for the pole Sunday. Busch was 10th on the speed chart with a four-lap average of 229.960 mph. Sunday, he must qualify again - as all the field must - to determine starting spots. Because Busch is not in the top nine, he can start no better than 10th for that race.

“It’s a lot of fun to qualify into the Indianapolis 500,’’ Busch said Saturday at Charlotte. “I was hoping for a little more.’’

Busch spent most of the past week at Indianapolis practicing. That’s key because of the limited time available to practice at Indy before the race. After Sunday, the track is open for practice Monday and then only for an hour on Friday before the 500.

“Each day is a lesson, learning what I can do to advance with the car,’’ Busch said. “Andretti Autosport is a very experienced team and my inexperience will hold us at that last little bit. Each day there have been nice improvements. It’s hard to know what to expect.’’

Busch said running laps at 230 mph has been exciting.

“It’s a hair-raising experience to put a car on edge for four laps,’’ he said. “I had three what I felt were moments in the car. If I had a fourth, I might not be here.’’

As for the 500 next week?

“It’s anybody’s race,’’ he said. “We have to position ourselves for not making mistakes, stay away from mistakes on pit road and then to earn the ... respect (from competitors).’’

As for Saturday’s All-Star race, Busch said he would use the first 20-lap segment to “settle into the car” since has not been in it since last weekend’s race at Kansas Speedway. Parker Kligerman practiced Busch’s car Friday.

Early Bird Racing
Tim Fortner
Admin

http://www.earlybirdracing.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 2013-2020 EarlyBirdRacing.com